Check out all the content online!
All sessions from the event are available on demand for 3 months.
Please note: To be awarded CPD Points attendees will have to be logged in on the day.
*All times are in GMT. Event was held November 11, 2020
9:15am – 9:20am
Welcome Remarks & Explanation of Features of Digital Platform
Politics, Process & Digitalisation
9:20am – 9:45am
Opening Keynote: Update from the Housing Minister
- What is the government’s plan of action for long term recovery?
- Quality homes vs economic recovery: What will the government prioritise? What role do you see planning playing in the long term recovery?
- What has been the response to the ‘Planning For the Future’ Consultation?
- How is the white paper consultation influencing policy development?
- How will the NPPF be revised to take forward the government’s planning agenda?
Rt. Hon. Minister Christopher Pincher, Ministry for Housing, Communities and Local Government
9:50am – 10:15am
Data Download Presentation: Housing market update in facts and stats – How is the new standard methodology going to change it?
- What capacity is expected to be added in the next 12 months
- Where is the growth and decline in the UK housing market?
- How long will the recovery be following the COVID-19 slump?
Matthew Good, Director, Pegasus Group
10:15am – 10:55am
Panel Discussion: Revolution or Evolution? Process, planning for the future and technology in the New Normal
- A look back at the technology used to keep the sector going during the height of the Covid-19 crisis. What were the success and challenges that we can learn from?
- Continuing to use technology for further community engagement. What is best practice and can you solely use technology? Will the increased digitalisation actually isolate some sectors of society?
- How might digital data used in local plans be standardised and the development process be digitalised?
- How can you introduce new technology with the current technology contracts being so bolted?
(Moderator) John Walker, Executive Director, C|T Local
Holly Jones, Director of Planning and Infrastructure, Wychavon & Malvern Hills District Council
Mark Skilbeck, UK Planning Director, Land and Planning, Taylor Wimpey
Rebecca Phillips, Professional Lead, The Planning Inspectorate
10:55am – 11:15am
Pause for remembrance and screen break
11:15am – 11:40am
Presentation: Digitalising the planning process
Euan Mills, Digital Transformation Manager, Ministry of Housing, Communities and Local Government
How to get more homes allocated
11:40am – 12:00pm
Thought Leader Insight: Joint Working to Drive the Recovery
- Who Between?
- Is it now more or less imporant?
- The role of trust
Philip Barnes, Group Land & Planning Director, Barratt Developments
12:00pm – 12:30pm
Ask the Experts: What are the challenges and opportunities presented by replacing 106 with a National Infrastructure Levy?
- What will be the impact on viability assessments with the National Infrastructure Strategy?
- How can you understand the deliverability of your infrastructure to write your local plan?
- How will the change to the funding process change plan making?
Phillip Barnes, Group Land & Planning Director, Barratt Developments
Steve Collins, Chief Executive, Rentplus
Gilian Macinnes,Planning & Placemaking Advisor, Gilian Macinnes Associates &Interim Head of Planning and Development, Ashford Borough Council
John Wacher, Strategic Planning Manager – Viability, Greater London Authority
12:30pm – 1:30pm
1:30pm – 1:50pm
Presentation: The Green Belt: A review of what has constituted ‘exceptional circumstances’?
- Examples of which authorities have released land from the green belt and the reasons given
- An analysis of the success and failures of the joint strategic planning in Greater Manchester, Greater London and other areas
- What’s next? – A look at the planning white paper and its implications for the green belt
Charles Goode, ESRC Doctoral Researcher in Urban and Regional Planning, University of Birmingham
1:55pm – 2:35pm
Panel Discussion: Zonal Planning – Weighing up the challenges and opportunities for housing with zonal planning
- How much zonal planning will be introduced to the planning system with the Planning for the Future policy?
- What resources are needed to help support the introduction of zonal planning?
Grant Butterworth, Head of Planning, Leicester City Council
David Morris Planning and Operations Director, Catesby Estates
Bridget Rosewell, Senior Advisor, Volterra Partners
How to get more homes permitted
2:40pm – 3:00pm
Presentation: Changes to the Classes Order – Will there be a surge of repurposed buildings for residential purposes?
- How can local authorities work with developers to ensure buildings repurposed under the new use class order still provide quality homes?
- How can you work within the new class order to expand your retail offering and prevent the ‘death of the high street’?
Helen Fadipe, Planning Consultant, Buckinghamshire Council
3:05pm – 3:45pm
Panel Discussion: Design Codes – What you need to know. From creation to working within them
- How can local authorities develop design codes that have the desired impact?
- What are the resources that are needed to deliver these to a high enough standard?
- What is best practice for developers to work within the design codes to ensure viable development?
- How might pattern books be used with permitted development rights to enable development that meets local authority requirements?
Cllr. Prof. Samer Bagaeen, Councillor,Brighton and Hove City Council
Paul Cutler,Head of Master Planning & Design,Urban&Civic
Finn Williams,Co-Founder & Chief Executive, Public Practice
Victoria Lee,Lead Programme Manager, The Design Council
How to get more homes delivered
3:50pm – 4:10pm
Ambition & Deliverability: Uncomfortable Bedfellows?
A look at the current requirement for plans to prove the deliverability and viability of their proposals. Is this area ripe for policy reform and if so how?
Martin Carter, Barrister, Kings Chambers
4:15pm – 4:40pm
Case Study: Master Plan Case Study – How can you deliver homes that meet the variety of the needs of the community?
Cllr. Lewis Herbert, Leader, Cambridge City Council
4:45pm – 5:30pm
Panel Discussion: Housing For The Future – Environmental Assessments, Placemaking & Population Change
- What are the changes to environmental impact assessments?
- Planning for climate change at a local level: what can you do to mitigate the environmental impact of developments in your authority?
- What will be the long term impact of putting ‘planning at the heart of recovery’?
- How can new developments have a lasting, effective legacy?
- How are local plans changing in response to the workforce changes?
David Bainbridge, Director, Savills
Grant Butterworth, Head of Planning, Leicester City Council
James Scott, Group Director of Strategy & Planning, Urban&Civic
Irina Merryweather, Group Urban Designer, Taylor Wimpey
Ollafiyin Taiwo, Planning Consultant, London Borough of Ealing
Close of event and sessions become available for on-demand